Thursday, September 29, 2005

On my turntable: Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang

I just received this LP in the mail yesterday, and I've only listened to it once. I reckon I'll need to give it 4 or 5 listens before forming my opinions. The reviews for A Bigger Bang have been amazing, with comparisons to Exile On Main Street (1972). I haven't purchased a new Rolling Stones album since 1994's Voodoo Lounge, which I liked. The last new Stones record that I purchased on the trusty vinyl format was Undercover (1983), which kinda stank, although I'm sure there are people out there that love it (but I'd be willing to wager that they ain't too bright).

So here's my review after one listen... I loved the first track, "Rough Justice", the first time I heard it online. It's classic Stones, very upbeat and memorable with some saucy lyrics. The remainder of the album is good, although perhaps not as instantly catchy. The overall sound is very gutsy. I like how the sound of Charlie's snare drum never changes! The packaging for A Bigger Bang is great: the vinyl is heavyweight, with custom labels and inner sleeves with lyrics. The outer gatefold sleeve has a nice wide spine. The songs are split up between the four sides, with 4 songs on each. A lot of the newer vinyl releases are being packaged this way, which makes me believe that the market for vinyl lps is continuing to grow.

No comments: