Friday, October 14, 2005

Confessions of a vinyl junkie

If you've ever been to a record show then you've seen what some of the diehard junkies are like. They're not an attractive lot; some of them rank rather high on the geek scale. Sometimes when I go to the record shows I am reminded of that fine line that I walk between "enthusiast" and "nerd". It's a slippery slope. I try to assure myself, "Hey, at least I don't live in my parents' basement. Anymore."

I was home from work yesterday after feeling a bit under the weather for the past couple of days, and I caught part of the movie High Fidelity on tv. There's a scene where John Cusack's character is re-organizing his album collection (which he organizes "autobiographically"), and I came to the distinct realization that I myself am a vinyl junkie. I too find theraputic pleasure in the organization of my LPs, and making "Top 5" lists. I think I mentioned in a previous entry how my friends give me flak for remembering where I've purchased records as far back as the 70's. Each record in my collection has its own unique connection to various periods in my life. When referencing an album, I also like to make mental note of what label it is on, when it was released, who produced it, etc.. I also love the smell of LPs, and still get a charge out of cracking the seal on new records. If all this makes me a junkie, or perhaps even a geek, then so be it.

No comments: