Monday, October 10, 2005

Love the sinner, hate the sin, kiss my ass

Last night Leo & I attended a panel discussion at the Basilica. The topic was diversity within the church, and the panel included a gay man and a lesbian (who, in case you're wondering, was a woman). The discussion had me thinking about the self-righteous people who go on about "the sin of being gay", which is becoming so tiring because it is such a bunch of crap. I hope I don't ever have to talk with one of those wingnuts who says "love the sinner, hate the sin", because I might just have to clock the person. Perhaps I need to work on that anger. The gay man on the panel said something very profound, which was that gay people have no more sin than straight people. We are all sinners, yo. Straight people don't earn more heaven points just because they are straight. Seriously. This got me to thinking about all of the energy that is wasted in this country on condemning gays & lesbians. I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: God created gays, lesbians, straights, bisexuals, and transgendered people. What an insult to the higher power to say that GLBT people are somehow defective, or that God loves straight people more. I'm glad I attended the panel last night, because it shows how the Catholic church is trying to change itself from the ground up. I'm sure it will be a very slow and difficult process, but it's a start.

No comments: