Saturday, October 15, 2005

My favorite concerts: Brian Wilson "SMiLE"@Orpheum, 9/30/2004

This may be the greatest concert I've ever seen. The Beach Boys' Smile is such a legendary piece of work, albeit unfinished. That Brian would assemble, perform, and record Smile in 2004 was almost unbelievable. This concert at the Orpheum was the national premiere of SMiLE, and an enormous thrill for me. It was my third Brian Wilson concert, and easily the best.

Brian (pictured here in a photo from the show) and his band started the night with a short acoustic set, followed by a full electric set, all prior to the opening notes of SMiLE, which was played from start to finish. There were spots where I'm sure there wasn't a dry eye in the house; the music was that captivating and beautiful.

9/30/04 Set List:

And Your Dreams Come True, Surfer Girl, Wendy, Hawaii,
Good To My Baby, Please Let Me Wonder, Drive-In, You're Welcome,
Sloop John B, Dance, Dance, Dance, How Can We Still Be Dancin',
Row Row Row Your Boat (!), California Girls, Darlin', Gettin In Over My Head,
God Only Knows, Wouldn't It Be Nice, Forever, Soul Searchin',
Sail On Sailor, Marcella
*SMiLE*SMiLE*SMiLE*
Do It Again, I Get Around, Help Me Rhonda, Barbara Ann, Surfin' USA, Fun Fun Fun
Love and Mercy

No comments: