Monday, October 03, 2005

My favorite concerts: Cheap Trick@First Ave, 11/5-6-7/98

In November 1998 my brother and I spent three nights at First Avenue with Cheap Trick, as they played their first three albums from start to finish. As "V.I.P.s", we were treated to a Q&A with the band in the 7th Street Entry, which was pretty cool, but it soon became an arena for the super geeky stalker fans. "Hey Robin, do you remember your show in 1977 at the St. Cloud Arena? Do you remember? I said "Hi" to you after the show. Do you remember me? I drew a picture of you. Will you sign it for me?"
Still, it was a fun opportunity to see the band up close & personal. Tom Petersson seemed pretty much stoned through the whole ordeal, which was amusing. Musically, Cheap Trick was in absolute top form all three nights. They were as tight as they had ever been in the past, if not more so. Aerosmith, who were playing across the street at the Target Center during one of the shows, came over to watch Cheap Trick from the side of the stage, and even joined the band for part of the encore.

The three-day event was truly a rare opportunity for the few cities that Cheap Trick chose for these tripple-album shows. Cheap Trick continues to tour constantly, which is one reason why they remain one of the greatest live bands of the past 30 years. It's curious to me why they have not yet been inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame.

No comments: