Tuesday, October 04, 2005

My favorite concerts: Monkees@Carlton Celebrity Room, 8/20/86

Seeing the Monkees for the first time was one of the biggest thrills of my life up to that point (I was 20 at the time). Even though the opening acts were good, it was almost torture having to sit through Gary Puckett, Herman's Hermits, and The Grass Roots in order to see the main attraction. It was a very Las Vegas-style show (it was Dinner Theater for godsakes) at the Carlton Celebrity Room in Bloomington (The Mall of America stands there now). My brother and I had great seats - we were basically front and center, and the venue was packed. 1986 was a banner year for the Monkees; their hugely successful 20th anniversary tour was the largest grossing tour of the year, beating out the Grateful Dead.

I saw the Monkees in concert several times after 1986, and the show at Carlton Celebrity Room was certainly not their best, but it was the first time that I got to see my childhood heroes on stage. Micky, Davy, and Peter seemed happy to be together again, and there was a lot of spirit in their performance. The trio would continue to perform as the Monkees until 1989, the year that they received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. They reunited again in the 90's, briefly with Mike Nesmith, for a UK tour, a new album, and two new television specials.

8/20/86 Set List:
Last Train To Clarksville, A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You, Steppin' Stone,
Cuddly Toy
, No Time, Daydream Believer, Shades Of Gray, Goin' Down,
Your Auntie Grizelda
, She , I Wanna Be Free, That Was Then, This Is Now,
Valleri
, I'm A Believer, Listen To The Band, Pleasant Valley Sunday

No comments: