Saturday, October 22, 2005

On my turntable: The B-52's: Bouncing off the Satellites

In the fall of '86 I was a new transfer student at the U of M Twin Cities. I was working at Don Leary's record store and was heavily involved in my music projects. Bouncing off the Satellites (1986) is definitely in my Top 5 from that fall.

Satellites
is typically (and unfairly) an overlooked part of the B-52's catalog. I think that when it was released in '86 the album's overt perkiness and positivity was overshadowed by member Ricky Wilson's death (Ricky died just months after the band completed the album in 1985). There are some really great tracks, including "Girl From Ipanema Goes to Greenland", "Detour Thru Your Mind", "Ain't It A Shame", and one of my all-time faves, "Summer Of Love". Ricky appears on 8 of the 10 songs, and shares writing credit on most of them. Not all of the songs are fantastic; "Juicy Jungle", which is basically a Fred Schnieder solo track, is a bit of a dud. If you're a B-52's fan who doesn't own this album, I highly recommend that you go out and get it.

No comments: