Saturday, October 01, 2005

On my turntable: Fantastic Plastic Machine - Beautiful

I purchased this album at Cheapos tonight. I'd previously heard a few of the songs online, including the great "Beautiful Days", which Leo and I played the bejeezus out of last summer. I was glad to finally find this on vinyl! I've not listened to the whole LP yet, but so far I like what I've heard. Standouts include "Beautiful Days", "Love Is Psychedelic", and "God Save The Mona Lisa", which features guest vocals by Bob Dorough of Schoolhouse Rock fame (he sang "Three is a Magic Number" and many others). I also quite like the song "One Minute Of Love", which clocks at exactly 1:00 and is nothing but the song "Makin' Whoopie" on piano, played at various speeds. Very groovy!
Beautiful
(2001) is a double LP release, with custom labels and an insert with lyrics and credits. I don't know a whole lot about this artist, but I believe it is primarily Japanese DJ Tomoyuki Tanaka. He's released a few albums as Fantastic Plastic Machine, dating back to '97 . To learn more, visit the Fantastic Plastic Machine website.

No comments: