Monday, October 17, 2005

On my turntable: George Harrison - Thirty-Three & 1/3

This is one of George's best albums, in my opinion. He sounds happy on this record. The album's title refers to George's age at the time, but also to the speed at which an LP plays. Clever, eh? I remember first learning of Thirty-Three & 1/3 (1976) when I saw promotional posters on display in Don Leary's record store window, roughly one year before I became a full-fledged Beatlemaniac. From 1977 until probably 1981 my entire existence was pretty much The Beatles.

I purchased this album on 8-track from the bargain bins at Musicland. I loved the song "Woman Don't You Cry For Me", and would get so frustrated with the 8-track format because you couldn't rewind the damned things, only fast-forward, and the fast forward was barely faster than regular speed. So I'd have to wait through two more songs until I could play my favorite song again. Back when I was just starting my collection, I cheaply obtained at least a dozen Beatles solo 8-tracks from Musicland's clearance bins, which I later would have to replace on LP. Kind reader please note: I found the original outer sleeve that my 8-track came in, and have uploaded a scan here for your enjoyment. You're welcome.

Album highlights include my aforementioned fave track, the singles "This Song" and "Crackerbox Palace", "It's What You Value", and the lovely "Learning How To Love You". In 2004, George's entire Dark Horse catalog got reissued on CD. I've not purchased any of the reissues, but I'm glad to know that they're in the shops.

No comments: