Sunday, October 09, 2005

On my turntable: John Lennon - Wonsaponatime

Today would have been John Lennon's 65th birthday, so in his honor I thought I should spin me some of his lps. Wonsaponatime (1998) features selections from the Lennon Anthology CD box set, which I never purchased. This double LP does feature some gems, though. Most (if not all) of the tracks on the LP are previously unreleased songs or alternate takes, spanning from 1970 to 1980. A definite highlight is the alternate version of "I'm Losing You", which he recorded with Rick Nielson & Bun E. Carlos from Cheap Trick. Like many of the Capitol releases of the past 10 or so years, the packaging of this LP is great: a double gatefold sleeve, with heavy cardboard inner sleeves that feature credits and photos. I highly recommend this album.

Capitol released yet another Lennon collection this past week, called Working Class Hero: The Definitive Lennon. It's a double CD set, and I don't think it's being issued on vinyl, so I'm not sure I'll buy it.

No comments: