Sunday, October 16, 2005

On my turntable: The Three O'Clock - Arrive Without Travelling

When I first heard Arrive Without Travelling (1985), I felt like I had finally found my kindred spirit band. The Three O'Clock's sound was a mix of all of my influences, a psychedelic brand of Beatles/Monkees power-pop, full of loud guitars and tamborines. I promptly purchased the rest of their albums and enlisted in their fanclub. As a musician this album became a blueprint for what I wanted to achieve at the time. When my own band played at the 7th St. Entry in 1988, we were decked out in paisleys, playing a set of our own songs plus two by the Three O'Clock.

I was never able to see the Three O'Clock perform live, although I think they may have only played in Minneapolis twice (once opening for R.E.M., I think, the other time in the 7th St. Entry). In '88 they released their final album,
Vermillion, on Prince's Paisley Park label. The band's leader and mastermind, Michael Quercio, has since moved on to other bands, including the fantastic Permanent Green Light, and the more recent Jupiter Affect.

1 comment:

RevolutionaryBum said...

Hi, I came across your blog today searching for the Jupiter Affect, and have enjoyed reading your posts (Love the rabbit!) But I thought I'd leave you a link to a live Three O'Clock concert I found the other day @ another blog. I too never got to see them live =( even though they played once in town. anyways here's the link and enjoy !

http://digivinyltal.blogspot.com/2009/06/three-oclock-1983-live-at-concert.html