Sunday, October 23, 2005

Paul McCartney this week!

Paul McCartney is playing at Excel Energy Center this Wednesday. I don't attend many arena concerts anymore, mostly because I prefer seeing bands in clubs where I can walk around and enjoy the atmosphere. There aren't many artists that I will pay big bucks to see in a large venue, but Paul McCartney is one of them. I've seen him twice before, in 1990 & 1993, both amazing shows. I missed his last tour, so I made sure to get tickets for this one.

The 1990 McCartney show in Ames, IA was a HUGE event for me. I was in the middle of a summer class at UMD that week, and Iowa was a heck of an overnight jaunt, but there was no way I was going to miss the concert. At this point in my life I was growing increasingly passionate about environmental issues, and the PETA materials that I picked up at the concert very much solidified my newfound devotion to animal rights and vegetarianism. I remember the day of that concert, and the whole summer of 1990, as a time when I made major lifestyle choices that continue to affect my life fifteen years later.

(picture) Outside Cyclone Stadium the night of the McCartney concert, 7/18/1990
Songs played on July 18, 1990 (not in order):
My Brave Face, Coming Up, Let Em In, Band On The Run,
We Got Married,Let It Be, Put It There, Rough Ride,
Carry That Weight/Golden Slumbers, Jet, Yesterday,
Back In the USSR,This One, Birthday, Fool On The Hill,
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Eleanor Rigby,
medley: Strawberry Fields Forever/Help/Give Peace A Chance,
Hey Jude, Get Back, Can't Buy Me Love, I Saw Her Standing There
Figure of Eight, Got To Get You Into My Life

No comments: