Thursday, October 27, 2005

Paul McCartney@Xcel, 10/26/2005

"Good" is probably the best adjective I can think of to describe last night's concert, although it was a very strong good. I wouldn't say it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen, but that may be because I'm not crazy about arena shows. This was my third McCartney concert, and it was definitely as good as the previous two. I did miss Linda, and was a little sad to see that she was not mentioned in the opening film. I'm sure Paul has his reasons for not acknowledging his former partner and bandmate, and I can respect that.

The concert was a Beatle fan's wet dream, as the majority of the songs were pre-1970. He did a couple of Wings songs, but the only song from the 80's or 90's was "Flaming Pie". Thus, fans of post-Wings output may have been disappointed. Paul was in fantastic form though, looking and sounding practically as good as ever. His band was extremely tight and energetic, and their harmonies were right up front and spot on. The highlight for me, personally, was "Too Many People" from
Ram (1971), which I never thought I'd see performed live.

The opening act was DJ Freelance Hellraiser, who collaborated this past summer with Paul on the great
Twin Freaks LP. Overall, I'm very glad I went to the show. It was fun to hang out with my good friend Bob. Both Bob and I grew up as Beatles fans, so I was glad to be with him for his first McCartney show. I reckon we'll see him again next time he comes through town.
10/26/05 Set List:
Magical Mystery Tour, Flaming Pie, Jet, I'll Get You,
Drive My Car, Till There Was You, Let Me Roll It,
Got To Get You Into My Life, Fine Line, Maybe I'm Amazed,
The Long and Winding Road, In Spite of all the Danger (Quarrymen),
I Will, Jenny Wren, For No One, Fixing A Hole, English Tea
I'll Follow The Sun, Follow Me, Blackbird, Eleanor Rigby
Too Many People, She Came In Through the Bathroom Window
Good Day Sunshine, Band On The Run, Penny Lane
I've Got A Feeling, Back In The USSR, Hey Jude, Live and Let Die,
Encore 1: Yesterday, Get Back, Helter Skelter
Encore 2: Please Please Me, Let It Be, Sgt Pepper/The End

1 comment:

Rick Holland said...

I'm amazed that I've found someone else who counts Jupiter Affect as a fave band!

Rick