Friday, November 18, 2005

December 8, 1980

It's hard to believe that it has been almost 25 years since John Lennon was killed. The picture shown here was taken by Annie Liebowitz on December 8, 1980, just hours before John's murder. After the photo shoot John & Yoko went to the studio to finish Yoko's masterpiece, "Walking On Thin Ice". It was upon their return from the session that John was killed in front of his home.

In 1980 I was a Beatles-obsessed, 14 year-old high school freshman. Before going to bed on the night of December 8th I listened to John & Yoko's new LP
Double Fantasy, which had just recently been released. The next morning I learned the news that John was dead. I stayed home from school that day. Some of the asshole kids at school ridiculed me for it (I didn't have much of a support system in those days). Of course now I understand that John Lennon was just a person, not some super-human mystical being, but it's hard to dispute his astronomical lasting impact on popular culture.

3 comments:

Mighty Dyckerson said...

Fuck John Lennon. Britni Spears rules.

Anonymous said...

I was 12 years old and had just moved to Colorado Springs, CO. My father came down to my room at 3:00am, woke me up, sat on the edge of my bed, told me John Lennon was killed, and cried. I had never seen him cry before. He saw the Beatles in Hamburg in the 1960's and loved them. I grew up with the Beatles and adored them John's death was the hardest thing I ever dealt with up that time.

jeff anderson said...

Anonymous -

Thanks for the post. I think I can safely say that his death was by far the hardest thing I'd ever dealt with at that time as well. To me at 14 The Beatles were definitely more popular than Jesus :).