Tuesday, November 29, 2005

MY letter to the StarTribune

This morning I read a letter to the editor that just set me off. The original letter:

"Have those who criticized the Vatican's recent document on priestly formation actually read it?

The document focuses on evaluating future priests' emotional, spiritual and sexual maturity, as well as their understanding of the gifts of celibacy and human sexuality.

The goal is to provide the Catholic Church with priests of strong moral fiber who are unlikely to prey on those in their care."

I immediately sent my response to her letter to the StarTribune, and they published it! They edited out some of my finer bits, but at least I got my two cents in:

GAYS IN THE PRIESTHOOD

No link to pedophilia

A Nov. 29 letter writer argues that the Vatican's goal in banning gay priests is "to provide the Catholic Church with priests of strong moral fiber who are unlikely to prey on those in their care."

It is hateful rhetoric like this that continues to support the lie that gay people are pedophiles. Gay men are no more prone to preying on children than straight men. In fact, it has been well documented that the majority of pedophiles are straight men.

JEFF ANDERSON, MINNEAPOLIS

No comments: