Saturday, November 05, 2005

On my turntable: Prince

Today I finally picked up the tasty Prince (1979) and Dirty Mind (1980) LPs, two albums that were sorely missing from my Prince collection. Of the pre-Purple Rain albums I'm still missing 1999 and Controversy. I never bothered to purchase these albums because I had them on tape for so many years. They sound great on vinyl - definitely the intended and preferred format.

My first exposure to Prince was rollerskating to "I Wanna Be Your Lover" at Apache Plaza's Disco Skate. I remember looking at the Prince album at the nearby Mr. Bojangles record store, and reading a great review of Dirty Mind in Rolling Stone. At the time I knew Prince was from Minneapolis, but didn't really have a great interest in him until Purple Rain (1984). Since then I've seen Prince in concert many times, in large venues and smaller joints like First Avenue, Glam Slam, and Paisley Park. Last year my brother and I were fortunate enough to secure front row seats to Prince and The Time at Xcel Energy Center, which was a total gas.

No comments: