Wednesday, December 07, 2005

On my turntable: Bay City Rollers - Greatest Hits

One of the shoddiest Greatest Hits packages ever. It's got just 10 songs on it, and some of them not even hits. It is obvious that Arista was trying to cash in on a fad that they considered over, which is too bad because some of their best work was still forthcoming. Still, this album is fun to listen to, with songs like "Money Honey", "Yesterday's Hero", "Saturday Night", and the excellent rollerdisco song, "I Only Want to Be With You."

I loved the Rollers as a kid, and got picked on for wearing my Bay City Rollers t-shirt in the 5th grade (OK, in retrospect, I can see how it may have made me a bit of a target). I remember kids saying things like "You like the Gay City Blowers?". Fifth graders can be so witty & clever sometimes. In 1999 my love of the Rollers paid off when my band landed our version of "Yesterday's Hero" on the Rollers tribute CD, Men In Plaid. A newly remastered & repackaged version of the CD was released by Bullseye Records of Canada in 2004. I gotta say we kicked ass on that CD. I still dig the Rollers and consider them sadly underrated.

No comments: