Thursday, December 01, 2005

On my turntable: The Osmonds - Crazy Horses

Wow does this album rock. I'm currently of the opinion that Crazy Horses (1972) is the best Osmonds album. As the back cover almost self-consciously states, this album was "Written, Sung, and Played by THE OSMONDS". So why didn't Crazy Horses make the Osmonds rock&roll contenders? Some believe that it was Donny's status as a pre-teen idol that tarnished the band's image (Donny himself addressed this in his book "Life Is Just What You Make It"). While the band was cranking out increasingly heavy rock albums, peaking with the very heavy Mormon Rock Opus The Plan (1973), Donny was hitting the singles charts with "Puppy Love", "Young Love", and "Go Away Little Girl". By the time the Donny & Marie Show debuted in 1975, The Osmonds' rock career seemed sadly over.

In addition to the scorching title track, Crazy Horses features some fantastic songs: "Hey Mr. Taxi", the Beatlesque "Girl", the Zeppelin-inspired "Hold Her Tight", and the gorgeous "And You Love Me". I first purchased this album from the bargain bin at the Apache Plaza Montgomery Wards in the late 70's. At the time I think I was too young to appreciate just how good this album is. Last year I snagged a pristine copy while in Japan, which renewed my interest & helped me to fully understand the greatness that is Crazy Horses.

No comments: