Thursday, January 19, 2006

On my turntable: Julian Lennon - Mr. Jordan

Mr. Jordan (1989) should have been Julian Lennon's 2nd album, instead of the rushed sophomore slump, The Secret Value of Daydreaming (1985). Produced by Patrick Leonard (who also produced Madonna's Like a Prayer), Mr. Jordan is an album full of energy, melody, rich arrangements, and fantastic songs penned by Lennon and John McCurry. Vocally, Julian sounds more like Bowie at times than he does his dad. The album's first single, "Now You're In Heaven" did receive some attention on MTV, but the album ended up largely ignored, which is unfortunate.

When this album came out I was living with my brother and our friend Kim in a house on Polk street in Northeast Minneapolis. I was a junior at the U of M, in my early 20's, working at a record store, and recording and playing shows with my band. I remember it as a very fun period in my life, due in part to the great music that came out in '88/'89, albums such as (to name just a few):
B-52's Cosmic Thing
The Stone Roses
Paul McCartney Flowers In The Dirt
Deborah Harry Def Dumb & Blonde
Tears for Fears The Seeds Of Love
De La Soul 3 Feet High and Rising
Bangles Everything
Duran Duran Big Thing
Prince Lovesexy
Smithereens 11

No comments: