Monday, October 02, 2006

On my turntable: R.E.M. - Around The Sun

Not many bands have stuck it out like R.E.M. has, while retaining their integrity. My friend Jan disagrees -- she tends to believe that recent R.E.M. records just suck. Around The Sun (2004) is one of my favorite R.E.M. records (definitely top 5). From the past decade, I love ATS and Reveal (2001).

My fave songs on this record include: "Leaving New York", "Wanderlust", "Worst Joke Ever", "Electron Blue" and the title track. The vinyl release (pictured) comes in a nice gatefold sleeve with custom lables and inners. A second pressing of the LP has corrected cover art, eliminating the off-center art on the first pressing.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Give me Life's Rich Pageant and Fables of the Reconstruction (or is it Reconstruction of the Fables......hmmm......) anyday!