Monday, September 17, 2007

On my turntable: R.E.M. - Murmur

Of all the 80's R.E.M. albums, Murmur (1983) was the last one that I needed to buy, until this past weekend. I'd heard the album a couple of times, which might have been why I felt no urgency to buy it. It just doesn't excite me much.

There are those among you who believe that this was R.E.M.'s shining moment, as if they peaked with this album and everything since has sucked. Granted, I understand that there are some later R.E.M. tracks that were completely overplayed. "Losing My Religion". I get it. Still, have you listened to Automatic for the People (1992)? New Adventures in Hi-Fi (1996), dare I ask? Have you heard even one track from the lovely Around the Sun (2004)? Sorry -- that sounded confrontational. I just don't understand the alure that hooks some people to Murmur. It's a nice record, but that's about it, if you ask me. So help me out, Murmur fans. What is it about this record that is so friggin magical? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

3 comments:

Jay said...

This album made my tummy ache. I couldn't STAND the people that walked around with this tape in their walkman, acting like they are so smart "OoOoooo, I am listening to R.E.M. I bet you don't know who they are, because you don't listen to smart music."

I still like going up to Stipe at the bowling allay and saying "Good concert, but I would have liked it more if I knew more of the songs"

R.E.M. (or rem, as I like to call them) got MUCH MUCH better after they broke into the mainstream. To ALL of you SMART MUSIC listeners that think this was their best album, I just hope The White Strips become mainstream now too, so you can jump off that bandwagon!

GAWD!!! SOME PEOPLE NEED TO GET A LIFE!! IT FREAKIN PISSES ME OFF THAT SOMEBODY WOULD THINK THIS CRAP IS GOOD!!!!!!!!! IF YOU THINK LISTENING TO CRAP MAKES YOU SMART, THEN GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!! LISTEN TO YOUR CRAP, AND LEAVE THE REALLY GOOD MUSIC FOR THE REST OF US, YOU FREAKING LOSERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff said...

Soooo, by "White Strips" do you mean those Crest thingies that go on your teeth? Those are pretty mainstream - I'm pretty sure Target sells 'em. I had no idea all the smart kids were using them!

Jeff said...

OMG. Jay I am still laughing imagining you getting all worked up over these smart kids with their goddamn WHITE STRIPS. Damn kids being all "Ooooh look at me with my pretty white teeth", listening to their SMART MUSIC. Fuckin losers!

Best laugh I've had all day.