Saturday, November 03, 2007

On my turntable: Never Mind the Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols

Back in the late 70's when I was a pre-teen I borrowed this record from the local public library. I wasn't too impressed. Perhaps all the buzz about the Sex Pistols at the time had given me high expectations that couldn't be met. Who knows.

Fast forward to 1990. I was working at a music store and decided I needed to give this record another chance, so I used my employee discount to pick up the CD. This time around the music made more sense, and I liked it a lot more. I remember one of the store's managers commenting on the Sex Pistols, saying that they were just as manufactured as The Monkees, and that they wouldn't have existed without Malcolm McLaren. Hmmm, I thought.

So now I've come full circle with this record, since earlier today I found a nice vinyl copy that is now spinning on my turntable. I can see why Never Mind the Bollocks (1977) has stood the test of time -- it's a good record, just like the first Monkees LP.

3 comments:

Jay said...

One of the most OVER HYPED albums of all time.

A) What is a Bollock? Nobody knows and who cares....

B) If they would have been called the Monkey Guns, NOBODY would have noticed... but OH BOY... they were the /gasp/ SEX pistols. How naughty!

C) ZzZZzzzzzzzz

ayem8y said...

It's interesting how musical tastes ebb and flow over time. I have stuff in my collection that I maybe listened to once and put away only to rediscover it years later. I love buying vinyl now that most of it is a dollar and I love hearing a song for the first time only to discover it's been sitting in my collection all this time.

Jeff said...

I totally agree about cheap vinyl. It's easy to take a chance on new bands or albums you've never heard when they only cost 50 cents or a buck. I discovered lots of great stuff this way.