Sunday, December 30, 2007

On my turntable: Cheap Trick - In Color

"December 1979" is what I have scrawled on the inner sleeve of In Color (1977), my favorite Cheap Trick album. In 1979 Cheap Trick was nearing their initial peak of popularity in the U.S., and for some reason that fall (around the release of Dream Police) cut out bins were overflowing with discounted copies of the first two Cheap Trick albums. So I bought them both.

Thirty years later Cheap Trick has yet to top this album (No, Jay, Standing on the Edge is not better. No!), although they've certainly had some moments of recorded brilliance, and they're still one of the best live bands in the world.

1 comment:

Jay said...

Have you LISTENED to "Standing On The Edge"? Yeah, "In Color" is a classic Cheap Trick album... I would say #2 in my book... but yes, Standing On The Edge is Cheap Trick at it's peak. Just listen to it...once.