Friday, December 28, 2007

On my turntable: K-tel - Right On

So as I was working on my statistics (see previous post) I wanted a long LP that wouldn't require me to get up and flip the record too quickly. I chose this 1976 gem from K-tel. Aside from boasting one of the best song line-ups of the 1970's K-tel albums, Right On also features one of the label's most memorable covers. Now, I don't mean to sound sexist, but I have a feeling this little lady on the cover was, shall we say, very popular with the boys for reasons other than her intellect. I'm sure she was a very smart girl, but apparently not smart enough to know that it's not right to dress like a hussy in public, let alone on a million-selling album cover. Just kidding of course - I'm sure her parents were very proud of her. (trivia: according to the tiny print on the back cover, this gal's name is Kerry Cardrelli, lead vocalist of a band called Free Fall. Who knew.)

Here is but a sampling of some of Right On's awesome tracks:

"The Boys are Back in Town" - Thin Lizzy
"Magic Man" - Heart
"Strange Magic" - ELO
"Saturday Night" - Bay City Rollers
"Love Hangover" - Diana Ross
"Magic" - Pilot
"Dazz" - Brick
"You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine" - Lou Rawls

I figure a K-tel compilation can't miss when it includes three bonafide hits with the word "magic" in them. Am I right? K-tel outdid themselves with this one.

2 comments:

cherie said...

Thanks for the great Blog, I was watching some infomercial late last night and they were selling a compilation CD of 1970's music and I remebered that my favorite record when I was younger was, "Right On" from K-Tel. I played that record over and over along with my other Fav, "Saturday Night Fever" and Peter Frampton's "LIVE". I want to ask you a question...did you save that record all these years or did you come across it somewhere? THanks again for the great Blog.

Jeff said...

Cherie -

Thanks for checking out my blog and for the comment! I never owned this album as a kid, but I totally remember seeing it everywhere k-tel records were sold. I actually scored this particular copy of "Right On" at a local record store in Minneapolis (HYMIE'S). It was *sealed*, so I couldn't pass it up. :)

Thanks again for saying hi!