Saturday, December 15, 2007

On my turntable: Xanadu Soundtrack

So last night at mom's house my brother says "Xanadu was a great movie", which begged the question, "When was the last time you watched Xanadu??" Xanadu starts out with so much promise and sparklyness, but halfway through it becomes a train wreck and totally derails. Not a great film, but that doesn't mean I don't still love it. The movie's greatest strength? It's soundtrack.

In the second half of 1980 the Xanadu soundtrack spawned five major hits, which received heavy rotation on the radio, at the roller rink, and my parents' basement. It's hard to believe that an album this awesome could actually come from such a dud of a movie. Xanadu is definitely in my top 10 greatest soundtracks of all time.

2 comments:

Jay said...

You are OUT OF YOUR MIND! Olivia Newton John roller skating around half naked, with ELO the Tubes music? How can that not be a great movie!!

Ellen said...

I totally watched the movie about 6 months ago! It wasn't quite the same for me - the first time I watched it I was enthralled with Oliva and all of the other skaters. This time around I had to laugh my way through the cheesiness..