Friday, April 11, 2008

So wrong.

So tonight I tuned into Miss USA 2008, since Donny and Marie are the hosts and you know how I like my Osmonds. HOLY CRAP - this show is so offensive on several levels (refer to pic of me being offended). Here's an idea: If all the evangelical yahoos in this country are so worried about familyvaluesthis and familyvaluesthat, maybe they could they focus for a moment on getting some clothes on these young ladies. For the swimsuit competition, each gal came out in a bikini and a skimpy fur wrap, did a little smile and strut for the camera, and flirtatiously allowed the dead animal to slide off her shoulder. What year is this anyway? 1952? Jesus.

Miss USA is touting these women as role models for young girls. If I had a young daughter I would be using this show as an example of what not to aspire to. This sort of blantant objectification of women is one of the reasons we have sexual assault, because when you turn someone into an object they are no longer human. This shit turns my stomach. Sadly, it represents what much of this country sees as "entertainment". Fart jokes are smarter than this crap.

Oh and Miss Texas just won.

9 comments:

Jay said...

Lighten up, Francis!

It's called a BEAUTY pageant! Not a "which woman aspires to be the next President of the USA" pageant.

Aint nothin wrong with a couple of hotties walkin around in bathing suits, for cryin out loud!

Jeff said...

OK maybe my post was a bit strong, but I still stand by it. Beauty pageants are wrong. I agree that there's nothing wrong with women wearing bikinis, ON A BEACH. Parading them around on stage and judging their bodies is different. Two words for ya: eating disorder.

But yeah, I was expecting that someone would tell me to calm the hell down. :)

Jennifer said...

I thought your post was right on the money... and the look on your face is perfect!

OC said...

Welllllll, I could not agree more with my 'cuz...and Jay, sorry, it's not you! Tongue in cheek...anywho...as you know, I happen to have one of those totally gorgeous bodies that was to the delight and attraction to men in the 17-1800's. Voluptuous, yeah, that's it. So, I sort of stay away from watching those anorexic girlie's. I feel for them. And, while I am on a roll here, I happen to think some extra padding is a good thing.
I think curvy, round, somethin-to-grab-onto women are much more beautiful than skin and bones. Our culture is changing...slowly...in this regard. Coming from someone who purchases clothing, the designers are finally understanding the CHING (and, isn't that what it is all about?) is in the size 14 and on up girls. Glad someone bought a vowel on this one! BTW, I love you both. Cyn

Jay said...

Well cuz and bro, allow me to reiterate...

I have NOTHING against women of all sizes and shapes and colors. A good looker is a good looker!! I personally think they should have all types represented at Miss USA! I think it would be great to have a plus sized hottie representin the great state of Minnesota! And I still dont have anything against a beauty pageant.

Mizti (Fernie's Dog) said...

I THINK THAT THEE NETWORKS SHULD TAKE OFF THEE DOG SHOWS! HAVE YOU SEEN WHERE THOSE PEOPLE GRAB THOSE DOGS ON NATIONAL TV AND THEN THEY HAVE THEEM STRUT AROUND LIKE DAY ARE A PIECE OF MEAT! THEE DOG SHOWS ARE VERY OFFENSIVE TO MEE.

-MITZI

Mitzi (fernie's dog) said...

LET ME ADD THEES ABOUT DOG SHOWS... PERSONALLY.. I LIKE TO SEE THOSE BEEETCHS STRUT THEIR DOGGY STUFF ON THEE NETWORK TV! I WOULD LIKE TO SNEEF THEM.

BUT I STILL FIND IT OFFENSIVE!

OC said...

Ohhhhh, I am so glad Fernie has a talking dog...I will have to call her and tell her she is a smart dog too, ours want to post on the internet, but there's that opposable thumbs deal.
And, a further comment here...have you ever seen how those judges stick their fingers in the dogs mouth, then feel the dogs testicles? Not so bad, but the next little doggie shows up and the judge does the same thing to it without even using Purel be.

Jeff said...

I know - how lucky is our mom to have a talking dog, and with the accent of the Spaniards no less. It also appears from Mitzi's last post that she's bi-curious. Who knew.