Sunday, October 26, 2008

On my turntable: Elvis Costello - North

North (2003) is one of my all-time favorite LPs, especially when it's cold outside and I feel the need to park it on the couch with a hot beverage & blanket. The album was released in late September '03, so the tracks tend to evoke fall & early winter. The music is more Bacharach Elvis than Attractions/Imposters Elvis, with gorgeous arrangements and subdued, heartfelt vocals. It's moody & lovely.

To my knowledge the only vinyl issue of North is a German audiophile pressing from Deutch Grammophone, which tends to be a bit pricey, not to mention hard to find. Since most new copies that I'd seen were around $30, I abstained from purchasing until I found this near perfect used copy in 2007 for $12. The LP is oh-so-smooth and wonderfully mastered. I highly recommend.

1 comment:

OC said...

Mmmmmmmm, this sounds yummy. Perhaps Fred? Christmas?