Monday, November 10, 2008

Prop H8

Talk about mixed emotions. The past week has been filled with elation over the victory towards equality that we gained with Obama's win, and an absolute blow to the gut over what happened in California. I purposely avoided blogging about it because I have needed some cool-down time.

I don't believe every Californian that voted "YES" on Proposition 8 actually understood what they were doing. I'm choosing to believe that many of them thought "Yes" meant "Why, Yes, of course I want same-sex couples to have the same rights as me. Why wouldn't I want that?" They didn't realize that they were voting to take rights away from individuals, couples, and families who happen to have been born gay.

It's infuriating, and so incredibly hateful that christianists poured countless millions of dollars into organizing Prop 8. Imagine how many starving children could have been fed with that money. Instead, we talk about how awful it would be if children learned about gay marriage in schools. Seriously?? Do you think children don't know about gay people? AND WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH LEARNING ABOUT GAY PEOPLE? We EXIST, and we are here because GOD created us this way.

I guess I haven't cooled off much.

To all you hateful people who worked so tirelessly to make Prop 8 happen, I pity you, but even more I pity your children. These kids are going to have to learn the hard way that gay people are to be valued, not scorned, and that God loves gays just as much as he loves straights. They'll have to learn from experience that GAY = OK, that gay is perfectly normal, and that gay people should have equal access to the same rights as straight people, just as it says in the constitution.

To the LGBT community in California, hang in there. Despite what all the misinformed haters out there believe, God IS on OUR side, because we are living true to ourselves, the way God created us. Equality will prevail.

I usually feel better after these little rants, but this time I don't. It's an awful, awful feeling.

3 comments:

Mark said...

it is an awful feeling, i agree!

the only way i can mediate these feelings is by getting involved in the protests that are going to be happening in our city.

Like Patti used to say:

People Have The Power!

Jeff said...

Right on, Mark. It's happening here too. Perhaps this is the revolution we've been hoping for. Time will tell. In the meantime I'm listening to Patti too. :)

Bethany said...

Hi there,
I found you through Tracy's blog. Love your writing on this. My friend Kathy wrote a good piece about it on her blog
www.grasshopperonmydoor.blogspot.com
It really does suck so much. Man...
Great blog.Glad I stopped by.