Saturday, December 27, 2008

Best LPs of 2008

This list is all vinyl, baby:
20. Peter Bjorn & John - Seaside Songs
19. Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue (expanded reissue)
18. Tipsy - Buzzz
17. Dressy Bessy - Holler and Stomp
16. Elvis Costello - Momofuku
15. Liam Finn - I'll Be Lightning
14. Bob Mould - District Line
13. Matthew Sweet - Sunshine Lies
12. Radiohead - In Rainbows
11. Black Hollies - Casting Shadows
10. Lyrics Born - Everywhere At Once
9. Beck - Modern Guilt
8. Q-Tip - The Renaissance
7. Sloan - Parallel Play
6. Weezer - The Red Album
5. Glen Campbell - Meet Glen Campbell
4. B-52's - Funplex
3. Brian Wilson - That Lucky Old Sun
2. R.E.M. - Accelerate
1. Ting Tings - We Started Nothing
For starters, I'm as surprised as anyone that The Ting Tings had my fave album of the year. I didn't even want to like the band, let alone go bonkers for their album, but it was just too damn catchy and kickass. The other surprise that I could not have anticipated was Meet Glen Campbell, a great return to form for a legendary artist, with an all-star cast of musicians.

2008 was a banner year for records in our house. This was due partly to me striking a balance in my work/school/other obligations and making time every week to hit the record stores. I discovered some terrific vintage LPs this year, including Dawn's Ragtime Follies, God Bless Tiny Tim, and LaBelle's Nightbirds, to name just a few. I was also fortunate to see a few great concerts this year: Mika, The Hives/The Donnas, Brian Wilson, The Fratellis, The Ting Tings, and the True Colors tour.

So how about you all? What were your musical highlights this year?

No comments: