Monday, December 15, 2008

On my turntable: De La Soul Is Dead

I have been waiting patiently and searching for this record for several years. I have a number of 12" singles from the album, but never owned the full LP, since I'd made the conscious switch to CDs at the time of this album's release in 1991. But alas, I search in vain no more, thanks to the awesome people at 4 Men with Beards records, who have very recently reissued De La Soul is Dead on 180g vinyl.

De La Soul is Dead is a often overlooked hip-hop stoner comedy masterpiece. On the heels of the hippie-fied 3 Feet High and Rising (1989), Dead sounded rather dark, but 17 years later it holds up as a genius, and at times downright joyous, collection of songs. I hope that other De La classics like Buhloone Mindstate (1993) and Stakes is High (1996) also manage to get reissued soon.

No comments: