Tuesday, December 30, 2008

On my turntable: Donna Summer - The Wanderer

Before MTV I found a lot of my new music on American Bandstand. There are some records that I distinctly remember buying because of Dick Clark's weekly show: "We Live For Love" by Pat Benatar, "Does Your Mother Know" by ABBA, "Clean Clean" by The Buggles, "I Don't Like Mondays" by The Boomtown Rats, and "The Wanderer" by Donna Summer.

"The Wanderer" was an exciting mix of dance and electronic rock -- if it weren't for Donna's "Queen of Disco" past, the single might have identified her as a New Wave artist. The accompanying album of the same name was the first LP to be released on David Geffen's new Geffen Records label (followed by John & Yoko's Double Fantasy). While the single (pictured, right) was a Top 10 hit, I don't remember the album being a huge success. In fact, it's not too hard to find sealed copies of the record still in record racks.

Check out this cool promo video for "The Wanderer" (which I'm guessing was seldom seen, since it was pre-MTV), and dig those highly fashionable leg warmers:

2 comments:

doug said...

I remember really loving the flip-side of the 45 single - I can't recall the song title but I remember it was even more rockin' than "The Wanderer". I gotta dig it out and play it now.

Anonymous said...

The flip side was "Stop Me." It was also very danceable New Wave, Rock and was also a great song. All my friends loved both sides of the song. Then the album finally came out and we played many songs from it.

Jonathan from NYC