Monday, December 22, 2008

On my turntable: Heart - Dreamboat Annie

I've never been an enormous Heart fan. That's not to say that I've not appreciated them, because they've got an incredible roster of great songs. Perhaps I never bought any of their albums because I saw them as a singles band (I owned "Magic Man" on 45 when it came out, and it got played a lot). A couple of weeks ago I saw this copy of Dreamboat Annie (1976) glistening in the clearance bin for 50 cents, and I couldn't resist it.

I've not yet devoted too much time listening to side 2 of this record, mostly because side 1 is so friggin' awesome, with all three of the album's singles: "Magic Man", "Crazy On You", and the lilting title track (which I first heard on K-tel's Pure Power (1977) album). The only song I'd not previously heard on side 1 is "Soul of the Sea", a beautiful, almost Zeppelin-esque track that makes the first half of the album sound almost like a concept record. If you're curious about Heart, I think Dreamboat Annie is probably a good place to start your listening.

3 comments:

OC said...

Very nice, Jeff. I too have this on vinyl. Cyn

HiRize said...

SWEET STICKER on a GREAT great album.. I've been writing an entry for Heart's 1981 Greatest Hits for several days now (keep going back and forth about how personal to make it), so its funny you'd put up Dreamboat Annie at the same time. I Must have got my copy used cause I've never seen the sticker before.

No vintage Heart compilation is complete without White Lightning And Wine from this album, and Devil Delight from Magazine. I've always thought this album should have opened with the shorter title track, than blaze into Magic Man.

Arthur (AmeriNZ) said...

I was never a big Heart fan, but I bought "Dog and Butterfly" because they played my university (the first group I actually knew who did). I also bought "Magazine" because it was a cutout due to some contractual dispute. Those were both on vinyl, and I never replaced them on CD. Because of your post, I'm thinking I may want to reconsider this album...