Friday, December 05, 2008

On my turntable: The Roger Whittaker Christmas Album

This one's for my dad, who passed away on 12/5/2007.

When my brother and I were young my dad used to travel to England for his work, and he would bring back records for us. I remember a couple of 45's on Apple Records that he brought back, and some Roger Whittaker LP's for mom and himself. Whittaker's voice has always reminds me of Dad, and it's more comforting to me now than ever.

I found this sealed copy of The Roger Whittaker Christmas Album (1978) earlier this year for 25 cents, and it's really quite lovely. I know my dad would have enjoyed this record, and he would have smiled learning how cheap it was (he always took pride in paying next-to-nothing for something). If you are a fan of Christmas music I recommend this highly, especially if you stumble across a copy for the cost of a quarter. :)

We love and miss you, Dad.

6 comments:

Jay said...

Yeah, every time I hear Roger Whittaker I think of Dad too. He wasn't the biggest music fan, but I think he thought that he kinda discovered Roger Whittaker and brought home that discovery from the UK back home to NE Mpls.

Dawn said...

Big hug on a bad day to you and your family!

Jan said...

Thinking of you and your family today....

Love, Jan

HiRize said...

Sweet tribute Jeff. Big hugs..

Jeff said...

Thanks you guys.

Connie Kragerud said...

Roger also reminds me of my dad. He loved the soothing tone of his voice. Again...my parents (if you remember) were not much for the old record player....but when they did....it was pretty sweet........