Tuesday, January 27, 2009

On my turntable: Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty

It's been around 10 years since I last heard this album. I never bothered to buy it (until this afternoon), although I borrowed it (from my friend Jim, I thinks) and I had a few favorites.

On a ridiculously cold morning drive to work in the winter of 98/99 I heard the Fat Boy Slim remix of "Body Movin" on Radio K, and I darn near soiled myself. The song remains one of my faves of all time, although the original mix on this LP is dull by comparison.

Hello Nasty's (1998) lost gem for me is the psychedelic "Song For the Man", which I remember including on a mixtape at some point. This was a song that I would never have recognized by title alone, but the second I heard it I went "OOOOOH yeah." Hello Nasty is a dazzling mix of colors and musical styles, in the same way that Paul's Boutique (1989) was, although not quite as crazed or sample heavy. I'm glad that this record & I crossed paths today.

Official Videos:
"Intergalactic"
"Body Movin' (fat boy slim remix)"
"Three MCs and One DJ"

3 comments:

HiRize said...

love Body Movin' for that skanky bass but love it more on Shake Your Rump 12". I'm eye-ballin' their vinyls The Mix Up and The In Sound From Way Out as near future buys.

Jay said...

Fat Boy Slim's remix of "Body Movin" was very well done.

Jeff said...

Chuck - The Mix Up is nice, although it sounds like a bit of a vanity project. Great album cover art. I definitely recommend the "Solid Gold Hits" LP - it includes the FBS version of "Body Movin".