Thursday, January 22, 2009

On my turntable: KISS - Ace Frehley

Next to Destroyer (1975), Ace Frehley (1978) might be the best KISS album. It's not perfect, and it's no rock masterpiece, but it rocks. It represents Ace at his absolute peak, not long before he crashed, burned, and faded out of the band. It was also the only one of the KISS solo albums to generate a recognizable hit single, the instantly catchy "New York Groove".

The KISS solo albums were a legendary mass marketing campaign that shipped out platinum to record stores and swiftly moved to the cutout bins. The concept was a 7th grader's wet dream -- not just one new KISS album, but FOUR, all at once. The dissapointment was that Paul & Gene's albums weren't very good for the most part, and in the case of Peter's album, oi what a stinker. But you still had to buy all four if you were a true fan, because each album included one piece of the KISS poster puzzle. My childhood friend Nicky Osteen was the only KISS fan I remember having all four posters, that is until a couple of days ago when I, yours truly, completed my collection with the Ace Frehley poster.
(image of solo posters from flaming-youth.com)

Video: "New York Groove" live in New Jersey, 1996

4 comments:

doug said...

you have made my husband's day.

Jeff said...

Ha! I knew someone out there would get it :).

doug said...

hey - are you on Facebook? I tried searching for ya, but there's about 100 Jeffery Andersons in the FB world.

Anonymous said...

Do you know the size of all the poster's together? I want to get a frame as a present to a friend who just complete his set.