Sunday, January 04, 2009

On my turntable: Tears For Fears - The Hurting

I did not become a Tears For Fears fan until 1989, when I heard the brilliant Seeds of Love (1989) album (one of my all time favorite LPs). As I type this I am having my first listen to the band's first LP, 1983's The Hurting, which I picked up earlier today.

It seems a little odd that TFF would choose to make their first release a concept album, and a depressing one at that! The whole record appears to be about a painful childhood (assumedly Roland Orzabal's, since he wrote most of the tracks). Despite the somber theme, the album has its highlights: "Change", "Pale Shelter", and "Mad World", all of which were featured on the 1992 Tears Roll Down compilation ("Mad World" also found a whole new audience in 2001 when it was recorded by Gary Jules and featured in the Donnie Darko soundtrack). "Change" is actually a pretty kickass song with an upbeat message.

In 2004 Tears For Fears released what may be their best album, the extraordinary Everybody Loves a Happy Ending, which remains sadly unavailable on vinyl.

Official Videos:
"Mad World"
"Change"
"Pale Shelter"
"Mad World" (Gary Jules version)

1 comment:

HiRize said...

never got into their first album, but the Big Chair is one of my long-time faves and I agree Seeds of Love is an incredible work. Not heard the last album.