Monday, January 12, 2009

What I'm reading: Got A Revolution!

The full title is Got a Revolution!: The Turbulent Flight of Jefferson Airplane. Talk about an interesting story. In what I've read so far, the book discusses the band's role in the famed Summer of Love, on through the American nightmare that was 1968. It's a compelling read, with anecdotes from the band themselves.

I first started exploring the Airplane in earnest around 1989 when I first bought Surrealistic Pillow and Volunteers on CD. Songs like "Good Shepherd", "Wooden Ships", "Comin' Back To Me", "Today", "D.C.B.A.-25", and "My Best Friend" got heavy rotation on my walkman as I shuffled around campus that year. I still associate a lot of the 60's Airplane music with an intense personal period of discovery and pseudo-cosmic consciousness. A lot of the 60's music that I listened to at that time fed my interest in student activism, which continues to influence my educational and vocational choices. In many ways it encouraged me to find my own voice, which I'm still trying to refine (and amplify). The "Embryonic Journey" continues.

2 comments:

Mark said...

i've been an airplane fan since about 1969 or so, when my best high school bud introduced me. Volunteers was the new hot album, and i was hooked.

i've been dying to read this book.

when we're in San Francisco, Tim has been kind enough to join me on my pilgrimage to Fulton Street, where I stand in front of Airplane house and just gape.

of course, the songs you mention are some of my very favorites. of course.

Jeff said...

Mark - When I do eventually make it to SF I *will* be heading over to Fulton Street. I'd love to see a pic of you guys in front of the Airplane house!