Wednesday, February 25, 2009

On my turntable: The Cavedogs: Soul Martini

When I graduated college in 1991 I felt compelled to make a job change. So I left the music retail job I'd been in for about 3 years, and got a new job...at another record store. Probably more symbolic than smart, I suppose, but no regrets. While at the new store I had roughly 40 hours a week to explore lots of new music, including this powerpop powerhouse from The Cavedogs.

Tonight after a grade-A sucky day I came home to find this new friend in the mail, and it made everything a little bit better. Soul Martini (1992) was released at the height of America's love affair with the CD, and to be honest, I'm not sure that it was even released on vinyl in the U.S., as I'm pretty confident this LP is a German import. The first thing I noticed when listening to the LP is that there is a nice echo/delay on the vocals that I never heard before. It's a wonderfully mastered LP, with amazing songs. The album, as a whole, has to be one of the greatest overlooked albums of the 90's.

No comments: