Monday, April 06, 2009

HOTTUB

"Manbitch, go make me a sandwich"

So tonight I went to see The Ting Tings at the Varsity with some of my rockstar friends, and it was an excellent show. No surprise there. The surprise was in the opening act, the uber-spectacular, fantastical happening called Hottub.

Hottub is comprised of three gals from Oakland, CA, backed by two rhythm/music machine dudes. If there was ever a female trio that could give the Beastie Boys a run for their money, it's Hottub. From the first 10 seconds of their set my mouth was agape, and I think at one point my uterus fell out (for the record, I don't think there was a gay in the house who was able to hang on to their uterus). When they started stomping through "M.A.N.B.I.T.C.H." I thought "What's that they're saying? Manwich? Mantits? OOOH - Manbitch". It helped that they spelled the word out, and that I had seen the song listed on their MySpace page prior to the show. I turned to my friends Ellen & Kristi and said "This one's called "Manbitch"" - like I was some all-knowing President of the Hottub Fanclub (Minneapolis chapter). I could tell they were impressed with my Hottub acumen.

After their set, Kristi and I went to the merchandise table so she could get a poorly lit picture (at right - the EXIT sign turned out great!), and so we could purchase some CDs. The ladies were *so nice*; I asked if they were planning on doing any vinyl, to which the answer was a firm YES, but they need to make some money to finance it first. So check them out on iTunes & Amazon & see what you think. If you get a chance to see them live, GO -- I know you'll lust for their fancy hot funkyness as much as I do.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Well said! Hottub ROCKED my pants off!