Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Marie Osmond steps up to the plate

I've made no apologies for growing up an Osmond fan. The brothers were a pretty amazing rock band who were unfortunately upstaged by little brother Donny's Tiger Beat status.

Regular readers may remember the email I sent to Donny last December after he made his bigoted comments about why he thinks gay people should not have full membership in the marriage club. Well earlier today I learned that sister Marie has publicly expressed her full support of her daughter Jessica, who was recently outed by the tabloids. Way to go, Marie.

(Click below to listen to Marie's call to KOST 103.5 Los Angeles)

If it's true that 1 in 10 people is gay (and that's a conservative estimate), then you know there are at least a good half dozen other gay Osmonds out there. I only hope that Alan, Wayne, Merrill, Jay, Jimmy, and Donny pay close attention to the example Marie is setting. Considering the size of the Mormon machine, this is a very brave step she has taken.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I've often thought that Marie has more "balls" than her brothers... : )

Good for her! Hopefully her brothers and others can follow in her footsteps.

Debra J.M. Smith said...

My thoughts on this topic:
http://www.debrajmsmith.com/052809HL.html

Debra J.M. Smith
of
www.InformingChristians.com

Jeff said...

Ms. Smith:

Thank you for taking the time to post your link on my blog. My thoughts on your thoughts:

As a Christian, I believe this as Truth: God created all people in His image, including gay people, black people, tall people, left-handed people. We are ALL God's children, and NONE of us are mistakes. As Marie herself has said: "I love real people. A lot of women out there have gay children. Who cares? I want love. I'm a Christian and Christ loved everybody."

As an openly gay Catholic in a long-term committed relationship, I have grown beyond being offended by opinions such as yours. I truly feel sorry for you, as you seem to believe that Christ himself would wish for you to treat gays as "less than", and in His name, no less. I pray, for your own sake, that you will someday move beyond your disdain of people who happen to have a sexual orientation different from your own, to truly value all of God's creation. Gay people are not evil -- HATE is.

God Bless,
Jeff