Tuesday, May 19, 2009

New Beach Boys CD released today

I experience mixed feelings each time I hear about another new Beach Boys compilation. Released today, Summer Love Songs (2009) initially received my obligatory roll of the eyes, but like other recent BBs compilations, it does include a couple of potentially awesome gems.
  • For starters, I fully approve of the cover art. Unlike the generic cover photos used on Sounds of Summer (2003) and The Warmth of the Sun (2007), Summer Love Songs looks more reminiscent of the original art on the landmark Endless Summer (1974).
  • Continuing in the tradition that started with 1998's engaging Endless Harmony CD, Summer Love Songs includes *six new stereo remixes*. Based on the glories of past remixes, these new tracks promise to be an exciting experience: "Don't Worry Baby", "Why Do Fools Fall in Love", "Hushabye" "I'm So Young", "Time To Get Alone", and "Good To My Baby". My only personal gripe is that "Fools" and "Hushabye" are two of my least fave Beach Boys songs, but perhaps these new mixes will help to change my mind.
  • The disc also includes a new mix of a rare Sunflower-era Dennis Wilson song, "Fallin' in Love", which has been known by collectors as "Lady". The track, a collaboration with Daryl Dragon (Captain & Tennille), was previously available only as an import single b-side by "Dennis Wilson & Rumbo" (1970).
As a 20-track collection, it's not unrealistic for Capitol to consider a double vinyl release of Summer Love Songs, although it's probably unrealistic for fans to hope for one. Regardless, I look forward to driving around the lakes this summer with this new collection blaring from the speakers. :)

No comments: