Friday, May 29, 2009

On my turntable: Ramones - Mondo Bizarro

Way back in February, 2007 I did a post about my "vinyl wishlist", where I listed the albums that are, as I wrote, "either a bitch to find (or) beyond what I'm willing to pay."

So this afternoon I'm at one of my stores looking through the new arrivals, and I see Subterranean Jungle by The Ramones. Flipping further I see Rocket to Russia, and I think to myself, "Wouldn't it be cool if Adios Amigos or Mondo Bizarro were here too?" Then it came true. I was holding an absolutely near mint domestic copy of Mondo Bizarro (1992), priced at $8.99. I couldn't believe it. I still don't.

As the first Ramones LP following the departure of founding bassist Dee Dee Ramone, Mondo Bizarro featured three new Dee Dee compositions. Among the new songs, "Strength to Endure", stands as one of Dee Dee's very best tunes, with great vocals by new guy C.J.. Along with Pleasant Dreams (1981), and the Phil Spector produced End of the Century (1980), Mondo Bizarro ranks among my very favorite Ramones albums.

No comments: