Wednesday, June 24, 2009

2009: Best of Quarter II

It's been an exciting three months for indie record stores, with the big success of Record Store Day '09, and then last week's first Vinyl Saturday. I don't know if this indicates any sort of trend, but it's worth noting that at least five of the songs on my list (titles listed below in bold) are available on 7" vinyl, which is pretty spiffy. Songs that are currently unavailable on vinyl (to the best of my knowledge) are marked below with an asterisk* (which means that the remaining 13 songs are all out there on vinyl!).

20. "Rich Girl" - Me First & the Gimme Gimmes
19. "Breakdown" - Black Gold
(a special shout out to my friend Chuck for this one!)
*18. "M.A.N.B.I.T.C.H." - Hottub
17. "Did You See Me Coming?" - Pet Shop Boys
*16. "I Could Break Your Heart Any Day of the Week" - Mandy Moore
*15. "Kind of a Girl" - Tinted Windows
*14. "Hurt Feelings" - Flight of the Conchords
*13. "One More Day" - The Humbugs
12. "Made In Japan" - Nancy Nova
11. "Complicated Shadows" - Elvis Costello
*10. "Big Mouf" - De La Soul
9. "I'm Sorry, Baby, But You Can't Stand In My Light Anymore"
- Bob Mould
*8. "Chocolate Box" - Prince w/Q-Tip
7. "Williams Blood" - Grace Jones
6. "Salt & Cherries (MC5)" - Wendy & Lisa
5. "Fuck You" - Lily Allen
4. "Beautiful" - Lemonheads
3. "Know Your Enemy" - Green Day
2. "'Cause I Sez So" - New York Dolls
1. "French Navy" - Camera Obscura

No comments: