Saturday, June 06, 2009

On my turntable: Big Star - Radio City

A couple of months ago I skipped home from the record store with Big Star's #1 Record tucked under my arm (OK I drove but I like the visual of me skipping down the street with glee over my new record. In a perfect world I could do this without getting my ass kicked). It was my first-ever listen to the album on vinyl, and as satisfying as it was, it felt incomplete.

My first exposure to Big Star was a 1992 twofer CD of #1 Record and Radio City on a single disc. In my mind I've always seen these albums as extensions of one other, so to hear just half of the music from my original CD on shiny new vinyl was sort of like half of an experience.

So I completed the experience by buying Radio City (1974) today, and it's super plastic fantastic. I already had a used import copy of this album in my collection (with a different cover), but this heavyweight reissue is most definitely an upgrade, and hard to resist at $9.99!

1 comment:

Mark said...

side 2, perfect from end to end.

what a great, great record.