Saturday, April 24, 2010

On my turntable: Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever

Prior to buying this LP yesterday I doubt that I ever listened to it outside of the record store where I worked in 1989. When you work at a record store there's a fine line that gets drawn between loving an album and wanting to inflict harm upon yourself and others if you're forced to listen to it one.more.time. Full Moon Fever (1989) was one of those albums; It just got played to death.

Hearing it 21 years later I'm able to appreciate it with less tainted ears. In these post-Traveling Wilbury days I'm also able to see how much this sounds like a solo album by Charlie T. Wilbury Jr..  One thing that I like about the album is that it doesn't sound like the Heartbreakers.  I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the Heartbreakers, I just figure if you're going to make a solo album it should sound different than the band you play with.  Does that even make sense?  I need coffee.

1 comment:

ChuckO said...

I was lucky to work at a small chain store- usually just 1 or 2 of us in the store and we picked from the stack of current promos as well as brought our own stuff, sometimes even opened something from stock. I never played this record in-store but the radio here sure killed it for me. Listening to samples now, I'm reminded what a great album it is, might have to look for a copy too..