Sunday, May 23, 2010

On my turntable: Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

In honor of the big ol' bus ride that begins tomorrow. 

This is the most recent pressing of Magical Mystery Tour (1967), the direct metal master version. I have read some criticisms of this series, knocking the sound because the manufacturing utilized a digital master.  Personally, I think the sound is terrific. While I understand the logic behind wanting to keep the process analog (to keep the sound true to the original release), there are plenty of true analog pressings of the Beatles catalog out there. I figure there's no harm in having a digitally mastered pressing as part of the mix.

1 comment:

Tom Degan's Daily Rant said...

This was the first LP I purchased with my own money. I was nine in the autumn of 1967 when this record was released. For many years it was my favorite Beatles album. Oh, and the cartoons in that 24-page book that accompanied it. How they made me laugh. Still do!