Sunday, May 16, 2010

On my turntable: Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis

For years I've toyed with buying this album after seeing it pop up on multiple "greatest LPs of all time" lists. An audiophile pressing is currently in print, and on those days when I'm not finding anything at the record store I'll venture over to "S" and see if Memphis is there.  There's always one thing holding me back, and it's that damn "Son of a Preacher Man" song.  It's the classic drunken girls-night-out jukebox singalong, and it drives me crazy.

Today I had no excuse not to take the risk when I found Dusty in Memphis (1969) in the clearance bin for $.50.  Upon first listen (only after repeated cleanings because this record was terribly dusty (pardon the pun)) I understood all the fuss. Memphis has all of the elements of an instant classic: top-rate musicians, arrangements, songwriters (Bacharach/David, Goffin/King), and a songstress at her artistic peak.  It is indeed a gorgeous record, and absolutely worth 50 cents. :)

2 comments:

My Blog said...

You could have had Bryan Adam's "Cuts Like A Knife" for a dollar at my garage sale, but somebody beat you to it. your loss...

Jeff said...

Somehow I'll learn to live with the regret.