Sunday, May 02, 2010

On my turntable: Josiah Wolf - Jet Lag

Jet Lag (2010) is the first solo album from Why? drummer & multi-instrumentalist Josiah Wolf.  I first became interested in Why? after reading the sticker on the front cover of 2005's Elephant Eyelash:
"Elephant Eyelash is gorgeously rendered jangly psych-rock folk-hop spread across 12 songs that bleed and breathe all over one another."
So I bought the album, as well as its follow-up, Alopecia (2008), which featured the curious track "By Torpedo or Crohn's", a tune with lyrics seemingly in reference to the pains of living with Crohn's disease. I passed on the band's next LP, Eskimo Snow (2009), partly because the tracks seemed a bit dark for my taste at the time.

When I heard that Josiah was releasing a solo project I figured it was worth a shot. The songs I sampled online seemed to have quite a Van Dyke Parks influence to them, which I liked.  In contrast with Why?s often crazed intensity, Jet Lag is melodic and at times beautifully fragile. Overall it's a very different experience from Josiah's work with Why?.

If you're a vinyl-head I recommend finding this record soon, since only 1,000 copies were pressed. Each copy comes with a code for a free digital download. You can read more and sample some tracks at the album's label site: anticon records.

TOUR NEWS: Josiah is scheduled to play in Minneapolis at the 7th Street Entry on Saturday, May 22. Hope to see you there!

No comments: