Friday, May 21, 2010

On my turntable: Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way

"Universally Speaking" was one of my favorite songs from the last decade. When By the Way (2002) first came out I felt like it would be a waste of money to buy the whole LP just for one song. After not seeing this record in the racks for a while I decided it was worth buying when I found it this afternoon.  

What a great album this is!

By the Way is the Chili Peppers' follow-up to 1999's highly acclaimed Californication, which I've never heard. After listening to BTW all afternoon I'm now very interested in getting Californication as well. 

2 comments:

ChuckO said...

Stadium Arcadium is the PERFECT follow-up to this great album, which was perfect after Californication. Stadium is a 4LP set, I JUST saw it for $32.99 from WB http://www.becausesoundmatters.com/product/stadium-arcadium (I got the deluxe box for $90 but the regular box is also 4LP) it is PACKED with excellent material- too much even @ 28 songs. ALSO from that site you can use BSM15 discount code for 15% off anything in stock. I kinda want to order another copy at that price. here is some dude opening the regular edition- its two gatefolds in a slip case (deluxe is 4 separate sleeves in a foiled traditional box) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpbwtxmBMEs

need to get Californication myself

Jeff said...

Thanks Chuck! Watching the video now. I've read some amazing reviews of the Arcadium vinyl, saying it's the best mastered LP of all time. I'll need to get that as well.

I have been reading A. Kiedis' book "Scar Tissue", which provides some really interesting context to a lot of the music from the late 90's/early 00's. Addiction's a bitch!