Wednesday, June 23, 2010

On my turntable: The Dave Clark Five's Greatest Hits

For a small time in my senior of high school I liked The Dave Clark Five. It was a very short lived fandom, but at least I got this LP out of the deal. My brother was the director of his college radio station at the time, and I was allowed to "borrow" this record from the station's library.  I haven't listened to it in a very long time, so it's fun to revisit.

One thing I don't understand is how, in the 1960's, the DC5 were considered to be contemporaries of The Beatles. If you ever see a teen magazine from 1964, for example, the cover story is likely to be about some battle of the bands between the fab four and the fab five. Who is the most fab??  Teenage girls would pick sides and fight over who was the dreamiest, Paul McCartney or Dave Clark. In retrospect I tend to put the DC5 on par with other pre-psychedelic bands like Herman's Hermits. They made nice music, but somehow it didn't manage to transcend the era in which it was created.

No comments: